Operations Coordinator (Full-Time)
About YLC’s Advocacy
The Youth Law Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit legal advocacy organization that seeks to transform child welfare and juvenile justice systems across the county so that every youth and child can thrive. Using a combination of creative advocacy strategies – including legislative and policy advocacy, impact litigation, collaborative systems-reform campaigns, public education, media advocacy, technical assistance, and training – our team works not just to end harmful systemic practices but to ensure that system-involved young people can access the supportive environments, resources, relationships, and information they need to realize their full potential. YLC’s specific, actionable, and sustainable strategies are shaped by the voices of youth and families most impacted by these systems and are informed by research in child development, psychology, behavioral economics, marketing and branding, and adult learning. The YLC team reflects the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and skills needed to make our creative approach to advocacy successful. Find out more about us at ylc.org and qpi4kids.org.
About the Position
This is a new role we’ve developed as our team and our needs for operational and administrative support have grown. The Operations Coordinator is responsible for delivering cross-team support both to our small but mighty Finance/Operations team and to our Legal Advocacy team. The Operations Coordinator will play a critical role in expanding these teams’ capacity to focus on their core areas of work by taking on the logistical and administrative aspects of a variety of processes, including meeting and event coordination, coalition membership management, personnel recruitment and onboarding, recordkeeping, internal communications, document production, and more. This position will have a broad reach in the organization and will gain deep familiarity with our internal systems and processes, and as such will also have an important part to play in identifying and recommending potential operational improvements.
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Operations Manager and supporting a mostly-remote team distributed throughout the Bay Area and in several out-of-state locations. Our preference is to hire someone with the ability to commute to our San Francisco office once or twice a week, but we will consider excellent candidates who are located outside the Bay Area or not able to commute to San Francisco regularly.
We’re looking for someone who has several years of operations experience already under their belt, a penchant for detail work, and a systems-minded orientation. You’re the one who catches the little things others miss, tracks how all the many pieces of processes interrelate, and deeply understands how even little changes and oversights can have a serious domino effect. You’re tech-savvy enough to know where to start with troubleshooting; you also anticipate potential problems and take proactive steps to prevent them but can face surprise issues with calm and focus. While you’re confident in doing your own research, you aren’t afraid to raise questions to get the information you need and to ask whether things could be done in a different, better way. You find satisfaction in being relied on, both for the thoroughness and consistency of your work and for your perspective on how your team can become even more effective.
If this sounds like you and you’re excited about a day-to-day operations role that also involves working on legal advocacy projects, you may be the person we’re looking for! People of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and individuals who have lived experience in the child welfare, juvenile justice, or youth homelessness systems are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Operations Coordinator will work primarily to support our Finance and Operations team with day-to-day and special projects work but will also be assigned to both ongoing and occasional new Legal Advocacy projects. The list of responsibilities below is intended to illustrate the core responsibilities of this position in each area. However, this list is not exhaustive; new needs and opportunities will continue to arise for this position as our organization grows and changes.
Finance, Operations & General Administrative Support (anticipated 65%)
- Support new staff and intern recruitment and onboarding by posting job descriptions, scheduling interviews, supporting new personnel account setup, and assisting with various onboarding and orientation tasks
- Obtain, compile, and route needed bookkeeping and operational documentation, such as vendor invoices, credit card receipts, and expense reports
- Assist with document filing and organization – including personnel documents, staff reference documents, and other operations and advocacy team documents – using YLC’s digital storage systems
- Coordinate team meetings by creating agendas, taking notes, and sending out notes and action items to participants
- Boost our internal communication efforts by supporting the production of our Executive Director’s monthly staff newsletter and by drafting and sending various reminders and notices to our team
- Provide technical support for advocacy team web events, including event set-up, calendaring, and live behind-the-scenes tech in Zoom Webinars
- Serve as a frontline point of contact for legal advocacy staff in troubleshooting the use of YLC systems and software, referring issues to the Operations Manager or IT vendor as appropriate
- Check the main YLC email and voicemail inboxes, responding to messages or forwarding messages to YLC staff as appropriate
- (If local to the Bay Area) Support office management by maintaining supply inventory and helping to ensure facilities issues are addressed if they arise
- (In any location) Travel to occasional YLC in-person events, such as advocates’ convenings and staff meetings, to provide on-site support with logistics, registration, and other event needs
- Support various short-term Operations projects and ad hoc tasks as needed
- Collaborate with the Operations Manager, Controller, and other team members to make recommendations and improvements to operating procedures and policies
Legal Advocacy Team & Project Support (anticipated 35%)
- Manage the logistical aspects of web event coordination for our two transition-age youth (TAY) advocacy coalitions, including calendaring events, coordinating with guest presenters to obtain needed information, and sending pre-event and follow-up correspondence to our coalition listservs
- Support coalition membership management by adding and removing listserv members and conducting outreach to potential members
- Support the creation, distribution, and filing of web event materials, such as agendas, slide decks, hand-out materials, certificates of completion, and attendance records
- Attend legal team and coalition events to take and distribute notes and action items as needed
- Support various legal team projects as needed and as time allows – proofread and format documents, check legal citations for accuracy, conduct research on administrative and court processes, and assist with court e-filings and proof of service
Skills & Experience
The list below represents what we believe to be the most important skills and experience needed for someone to be successful in this position. However, we recognize that women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ folks, and other historically economically marginalized people tend to self-select out of applying for positions if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We encourage you to apply if you’re enthusiastic about this role, even if you don’t meet every single criterion on the list.
- A minimum of three years of experience in one or more relevant operations or administrative roles, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a remote work environment, both when working on your own and when collaborating with others
- Exemplary attention to detail, analytical ability, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with using our core work applications – Windows, Google Workspace, Zoom, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office Suite – to the point of being able to help others troubleshoot common technical issues related to these systems
- Strong ability to learn new tools, systems, methods, and information quickly and to relay findings to others effectively
- Excellent written communication skills, with the ability to adapt your style to different media and purposes as appropriate
- Experience with handling confidential information – whether legal, financial, personnel, or other – and a strong sense of discretion in protecting confidentiality
- Ability to respond to unexpected situations calmly and pivot to finding alternative solutions
- Familiarity with creating and maintaining digital file structures and organizing shared files in a logical, intuitive way
- Thoroughness, follow-through, and ability to manage your own time effectively
- Good independent research skills
- A customer service orientation when responding to external inquiries
- Ability to listen actively, take feedback, and work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Comfort working in a flexible, developing team structure and a desire to have an influence on how we work together
- Commitment to supporting the mission and advocacy work of YLC
- Willingness to travel to occasional in-person events in the San Francisco Bay Area and elsewhere in California, with a small possibility for national travel; if located in the Bay Area and able, willingness to commute to the SF office once or twice a week as needed
Employment & Benefit Details
- Desired Start Date: December 1st, with some room for flexibility
- Status: Full-time, exempt, permanent; this is not currently a supervisory role
- Salary: $59,304 – $72,012, depending on level of experience. All YLC staff are paid using an equitable compensation structure which includes regular, planned increases.
- Paid Time Off: YLC offers flexible, unlimited paid vacation to its full-time employees as well as 12 sick days annually, 11+ holidays, and an annual winter break.
- Benefits: Comprehensive health benefits package (medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, basic term life), plus an EAP, FSA, Commuter Check program, and (after one year) a 401k with up to 4% employer match. Health plan premiums are 100% employer-paid for both employees and all dependents.
- Location: Ideally, this position will be performed primarily remotely from a location within commuting distance of our San Francisco office, with a goal of traveling to the office for at least partial days once or twice a week. However, we will consider excellent candidates who are located outside of the Bay Area and/or not able to commute to San Francisco; occasional travel to events will still be required in this case.
Please submit an application including both of the following required documents:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position and in supporting YLC’s advocacy
- Up-to-date resume
Please submit all required documents (either as a single PDF or as separate Word or PDF document attachments) at the time of application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for this position.
Applications should be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Timeline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received, beginning on November 3rd, and the position will remain open for applications until filled.
If you have questions about this position or the application process, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that due to the volume of applications we receive, we may not be able to respond to every inquiry. No phone calls about the position, please.
YLC is an equal-opportunity employer.
POSTED: October 28th, 2022
If you are interested, please submit a cover letter, resume, list of three personal references and a writing sample. Youth Law Center is an equal opportunity employer. Your application package may be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Or, you may send it via postal mail to:
Youth Law Center
832 Folsom Street, #700
San Francisco, CA 94107